Thursday, August 26, 2010

Rain or Shine, It's Walk Time

Like most dog owners I know, there is the ritual of the daily walk.  Lola and I go for a walk nearly everyday.  There are only a few days a year we do not go for a walk; if it is pouring rain, if there is a blizzard or if it is extremely cold.   But we will venture out if it is sprinkling.  This past week we have had some rain showers moving through and out we were when it was sprinkling.  It was actually kind of relaxing to walk in the cool
weather. 



I also have no qualms of walking in the snow or the cold.  I put on a hat, some gloves and a warm jacket and we are off.  If fact, we usually walk a little faster since we are both cold.  And therefore, we both burn a few more calories.  So, I view that as a plus, for both of us.  When there is a blizzard, I usually try to wait for a break in the weather and will try to get her out for even a short walk around the block.  It is good for both of us.  I think we both get a little cabin fever during huge snow storms.



Walks are great for both of us.  They are and will continue to be a great little training session for Lola.  There are always certain things I make her do, sit at corners, (unless is really cold then I let her stand), heel when we walk be people, sit and lay down when people want to pet her, etc.  And for me, they are a great way to unwind and mellow out after a day at work, and it is great way to get outside and exercise.

6 comments:

  1. Im glad yall enjoy walking when its sprinkling too!! we love it!! Keep up the good work walking and glad yall had a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love our daily walks. Knowing I have to take the dogs out is one way to make sure I get out of the house every day (even in blizzards). But we have met some of the most interesting people because of the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be a loony tunes Roo if Mom didn't take me for my walks. Guess that's why we always go ;)

    A walkie rain or shine keeps the Roo's attitude fine :)

    Bet it does for beautiful Lola too,
    Roo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you when it comes to walking! If my dogs miss their walk it is dealing with a bunch of very crazy dogs. Love Walking Early in the Morning during the Snow, it is so Peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I has to have my walkies everyday or I would drive mom CRAZY wif all of my energies! :) But like you Lola if it's pouring outs we goes nowheres.

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walks are the best, we do small walks in the summer and long walks in the winter. Fun for the boys but sometimes not so much for me-but they are way worth the frostbite:)

    ReplyDelete